Child Witness Program
The thought of going to court makes most adults uncomfortable. Imagine being a child. The need for our Child Witness Program is evident:
- More than 350 child victims and witnesses are referred to us each year. Together with cases carrying over from the previous year, we assist over 500 children, youth and their families each year.
- 98% of our cases involve abuse or violence.
- Over 90% of the time, the accused is known by the child. This creates very challenging circumstances for children, youth and their families.
- Children range from the age of 3 to 17 and 64% are female.
Child and Youth Advocacy Centre
On average, at least once per day, a child or youth in Waterloo Region reports physical or sexual assault. Charges are typically laid in only 15-25% of cases. These children and their families need our support just as much when charges are laid. Consider:
- On average, 1 in 3 or 4 girls, or 1 in 5 or 6 boys will be sexually assaulted before they are 18.
- Almost 60% of sexual assaults against women are on girls under 18, and 25% of those are under 12.
Impact Story: Watch a very emotional and touching story about a mother and her daughter’s journey through the justice system and the endless support and assistance offered by the Child Witness Program.
Informational Video: Learn about the new Child and Youth Advocacy Centre, and the services we plan to offer to children, youth and families of Waterloo Region in association with our community partners.
You were with me in the courtroom, you helped me whenever I needed it, and you answered all my questions. You were awesome! Thank you.
I was amazed that your service was available and was so supportive. You were a definite asset to our family, especially our child.
I don’t know how families can go through court without your help. Thank you!
Thank you for the support and information I was given, making me feel safe and knowing I was well taken care of.